What should I expect right before EGD surgery?Nate Deisler
- You’ll arrive several hours before your surgery and be escorted to the preoperative waiting area.
- You’ll remove all of your clothing and jewelry and put on a hospital gown. (Your valuables will be placed in a secure area or may be given to a family member.)
- You’ll sign any necessary paperwork and a preoperative nurse will take your vital signs, review your medications, and answer any questions.
- You’ll meet your anesthesiologist and the members of your surgery team.
- An I.V. (intravenous line) will be placed in your hand or arm, so medications—including anesthesia—can be administered.
- When it’s time for your surgery, you will be wheeled into the operating suite on a stretcher.