How should I prepare to recover from total hip replacement surgery at home?Rob Peoni
- Create a living space on your first floor—climbing stairs can be difficult right after surgery.
- Remove loose rugs and cords.
- Install safety bars or a secure handrail in your shower or bath and secure stairway handrails.
- Get a stable, comfortable chair with a firm seat cushion and back, and a footstool to elevate your leg.
- Arrange for a toilet seat riser with arms if you have a low toilet.
- Get a bench or chair for your shower.
- Shop for the groceries you’ll need when you return home from the hospital.
- If you live alone, ask a friend or family member to check in with you.